Re: [opensuse-packaging] Image based installation
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:20:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Apr 10 10:55 Stephan Kulow wrote (shortened):
Am Donnerstag 10 April 2008 schrieb Johannes Meixner:
On Apr 9 21:05 Stephan Kulow wrote (shortened):
%post scripts should not create host specific configurations
that can't be updated later.

What does this mean?
Could you give an example what to avoid and what is allowed?

allowed: changing the files in the file system

As far as I see this is sufficient for my packages.

not allowed: reading from other file systems as proc/dev/sys or other
means of getting informations about the computer/kernel/network

Perhaps there are hidden ways to read proc/dev/sys
e.g. when calling certain commands which do it implicitly
so that RPM scripts look clean but actually aren't.

Could you provide background information what is going on
behind the scenes (i.e. the difference to using plain rpm)
so that I would better understand what the root cause is
why it is not allowed.

The problem is that I can only test my packages (with reasonable
effort) by using plain rpm for installation and update (i.e.
I build it for my workstation and then install or update it
using plain rpm).
If it works well this way, I consider my package to be o.k.

For example if I got a bug report about whatever failure
and I cannot reproduce it, neither I nor the reporter may have
the idea that the root cause could be a subtle difference
during system installation compared to plain rpm.

In the worst case we might end up with Windows-like behaviour:
"If a package doesn't work, first of all try to re-install it".

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex