Re: [opensuse-packaging] Image based installation
  • From: Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:16:42 +0200
On Thu, Apr 10, Stephan Kulow wrote:

Am Donnerstag 10 April 2008 schrieb Ludwig Nussel:
Stephan Kulow wrote:
Yast will see a description file on what pattern selection, what set of
tar files to unpack and will do so. This takes a fraction of the time it
would take with rpm, still after that you have a correctly installed
system. The only difference noticed so far is the install time in rpm
header (which is frozen at the time openSUSE-images built).

Are a few minutes installation time really that important? Sure it's
50% according to your numbers but it's still minutes.
Oh, if the unit is your problem: it saves half an hour.

Ok, on the weekend I installed openSUSE 10.3 (default KDE installation)
in less than half an hour on an old ThinkPad T40. Now we improve the
installation time to save 30 minutes. Does this now mean, that if I
start an installation, the system is already completly installed since
some minutes?
Or did we double the necessary time to install from 10.3 to 11.0?
In that case, we should find the reason and solve that problem.

Thorsten

GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)