Re: [opensuse-packaging] problematic new path naming structure
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:40:24 +0100
On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 08:03:18AM +0100, Jurzitza, Dieter wrote:
> Dear listmembers,
> after a longer absence from upgrading I decided to test openSUSE 10.2 after it had had been released. Performing the latest kernel update an IMHO unlucky modification in the name distribution popped up that I would like to discuss.
>
> The directory /lib/modules/2.6.18.2-34 is remaining after kernel update to 2.6.18.8 and a part of the modules are linked into a corresponding path within 2.6.18.8 from there.
>
> IMHO this is a very ugly way to do things. If there are modules that are *not* kernel specific the corresponding directory should be called different.

These modules _are_ specific to the ABI of the kernel installed but since the
parts of the ABI these modules use did not change they can _also_ be used with
the new version of the kernel.

> Why keep a reference to a kernel that is actually no reference to this specific kernel? IMHO this
> directory should be named in such a way that it is easy to understand that the modules contained within it are to a certain degree version independent, such as
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-persistent

No, this does not work since there is no guaranty that the module works with
_any_ version of a 2.6.18 based kernel.

> or whatsoever. Keeping the old name is a poor and irritating choice.

Feel free to suggest a better scheme but only suggest a scheme that actually
does _work_.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele