Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal: Any "rm" in .spec %install must be commented
  • From: Joe Shaw <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:39:55 -0400
Hi,

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 18:17 +0100, Juergen Weigert wrote:
> Good point. Mandatory comments are counter productive.
>
> If comments are mandatory, they will be more often at the
> bullshit end of the spectrum than not.
> With a high noise level around it, even the good comments become useless.
> So -- let us fight against those comments, that repeat just the obvious.

To me, this whole discussion highlights the necessity of having a
revision control system underlying a build system, at least for things
like spec files.

If the spec file itself doesn't have a comment, or has a confusing one,
you would hope that the commit message does. Failing that, you at least
know who made the change and when, so you can confront them. :) Plus
you'll be able to narrow down when the problem was introduced and revert
only that single part.

Joe