Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal: Any "rm" in .spec %install must be commented
  • From: Michael Matz <matz@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:46:44 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Klaus Singvogel wrote:

> So, you're telling us, that because someone might not remember (or
> understand) an obvious removal, any packager needs to comment in future
> any removal, even the obvious ones? Come on...

When it's obvious it needs no comment (just that, as already said here,
obviousness is a difficult measure).

> So, is this rule introduction "any removal needs a mandatory comment in
> future" an advantage or a hindrance?

It would be a hindrance, because it's too absolute. I'm not in favor of
such rule.

> I think every packager should still be able to decide on his own if it
> is necessary to have a comment for an "rm" or not.

I think it wouldn't hurt to have reviewers (the checkin team) also being
able to demand comments. They would apply common sense, and be done with
it.

> Programing obvious things without a need to comment is sometimes an
> advantage.
>
> There should be no such automatic testing.

I agree, there should neither be atomatic metric measurement, or even hard
policies for comments. Humans need to look over it and decide if it's
"not enough" or "enough" comments, mostly from the guts based on
experience. Everything else will only cause uproar, and useless comments
being written for the sake of fulfilling the policy.

Ciao,
Michael.