Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal: Any "rm" in .spec %install must be commented
  • From: Juergen Weigert <jw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:58:45 +0100
On Mar 15, 07 14:21:22 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mar 15 11:45 Stanislav Brabec wrote (shortened):
> > So I propose:
> > Each removal in %install phase must be correctly commented
>
> I suggest even more:
> Everything in the spec file where it is not totally obvious
> what it does and why it is done must be commented so that an
> external person understands what it does and why it is done.

The concept of 'totally obvious' is an illusion.
Especially while writing code, a writer's perception of obviousness
is distorted.

I use this as a rule of thumb:
Whenever I read my own code a second time, and have to think about a line for
more than a split second, I put a comment next to it with the results
of my analysis.

After some iterations, such comments tend to become pretty
useful, and they come at no extra cost.

cheers,
Jw.

<V> | jw@xxxxxxx wide open suse_/ _---|____________\/