Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal: Any "rm" in .spec %install must be commented
  • From: Michael Matz <matz@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:48:35 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Klaus Singvogel wrote:

> > On Mar 15 11:45 Stanislav Brabec wrote (shortened):
> > > So I propose:
> > > Each removal in %install phase must be correctly commented
>
> Please explain to me: which maintainer is having so much time?

That's part of maintaining a package. If there's no time for writing a
short comment for _why_ something is done the way it's done, then it very
probable that the maintainer has too many packages.

> > I suggest even more:
> > Everything in the spec file where it is not totally obvious
> > what it does and why it is done must be commented so that an
> > external person understands what it does and why it is done.
>
> Yes, and please add a short and a longer abstract of all included
> documentation in the specfile too. And comment out, why you didn't
> add a FAQ too, if there is none included.
>
> Don't forget to mention: Please explain in long comments why
> your %name differs from the main project name.

Actually there's no need at all to be sarcastic about this. Comments are
one of the most important things, especially about unusual happenings. My
code often contains much more comments than code at core parts. Code
isn't different from .spec files in that regard.

So, _if_ there's a good reason why your %name differs from the main
project name, I fully would expect a comment explaining that reason, if
it's not totally obvious to anyone reading the spec file.

Ciao,
Michael.