[opensuse-packaging] Re: application for mime type - priority
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:40:50 +0100
Pavel Nemec píše v Po 12. 03. 2007 v 10:10 +0100:
> Hi,
> i need to figure out how to set priority for mime type. So when two
> application
> will associate same mime type i can set which application will be default.
>
> I find out that for GNOME there is a file
> /etc/opt/gnome/gnome-defaults.conf
> which contains such settings. This file is latter processed by script
> /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.gnome-vfs2
> which throw out missed apps and so on.
> So if i am right everything i need is add my application to [1] and run
> SUSEconfig.gnome-vfs
> Q1: how is right way to edit this file? or just call
> cat myconfig.desktp >>[1] ?

Please do not edit it by scripts. It is maintained by the desktop team,
which defines preferred applications in respect to desktop consistence
and existing contracts.

This SuSEconfig works in the way described in the comment of this file
(i. e. prefers applications with GNOME or GTK in Categories.).

gnome-defaults.conf have no influence to KDE.

> For KDE i found that there is "extension" [2]: InitialPreference=X (which is
> forbidden by freedesktop [3])

Spec says exactly: There should be no priority for MIME Types in this
field, or any form of priority in the desktop file. Priority for
applications is handled external to the .desktop files.

> This option is used in /opt/kde3/share realm.
>
> Q2: So do i need install two destkop file one in /usr/share/application and
> second(with additional option InitialPreference) in /opt/kde3/...

Ask KDE team, what is the preferred way.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer