Re: [opensuse-packaging] packaging made simple.
  • From: David Bolt <bcrafhfr-cnpxntvat@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:59:05 +0100
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:-

>Henne Vogelsang a écrit :

>> They are not. A configure/make/make install cycle that you run on
>>your
>> system is for prepares the application for your system exclusively. With
>> packaging you "optimize" the configure/make/make install cycle for as
>> much systems as you can.
>
>yes/no. if the ./configure(...) works on my system and on most systems,
>it's because somebody made the spec visible somewhere for theses apps.

./configure, make and make install are nothing to do with rpm.

./configure is used to build a makefile so the software can be built
with the libraries available on your system. That's also why you find
checks for certain versions of libraries, and why the build process
stops when they requirements aren't met.

>when running ./configure, I'm warned for any dependency lack exactly in
>the same way as "rpm" do. Of course, I understand than rpm asks for
>more data, but couldn't the spec file be built on the basis of the
>configure data?

It's possible to do, and if all you're wanting to do is build a binary
rpm without the effort of making your own spec file, you'll find that
checkinstall is the correct tool for the job. It acts as a wrapper
around the "make install" stage by looking at what is being installed
and including it in the list of files. Once it's built this list, it
creates a spec file and rpm uses that to build the rpm.

>I mean, most doc I read so far say "spec is a recipe" and seems to say
>one must build it by hand each time.

Almost. If you're using KDE, you might be able to use KRPMbuilder. I
can't say for sure if it'll do the job but, just from the name, I'd
guess that it would.

>It may prove necessary if the application you are working with was
>never packaged anywhere, but I wont do so and I don't know of many
>packages that are not already packaged in some way,

Just because something is packaged in some way doesn't mean that there
is a spec file available.

>so the problem is more fixing the spec to make them openSUSE compliant
>than making them from scratch.

If there is a spec file for you to modify. If there isn't, then you have
to start from scratch.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
AMD1800 1Gb WinXP/SUSE 9.3 | AMD2400 256Mb SuSE 9.0 | A3010 4Mb RISCOS 3.11