Re: [opensuse-packaging] Automatically installing "plugins" via dependencies
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:36:44 +0200

Adrian Schröter wrote:
> Am Wednesday 14 June 2006 11:23 schrieb Reinhard Max:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 at 10:49, Adrian Schröter wrote:
>>> It is anyway not really good, when jabberd is the only exception
>>> where the user has to manually find that out while all other
>>> packages are package in a different way, where this is not needed.
>> it wouldn't be any different with the other proposed solution (set the
>> dependencies of the plugin subpackage so, that it will be installed
>> when the main package and the respective database library are
>> installed), because the user still has to know that he must install
>> the database library in order to get the plugin installed.
>
> Yes, but the user does see all the packages in his installation tool in YaST
> when he searched for jabberd and can decide which backend he wants to use.
> And it does work afterwards because of correct requires.
>
> You could even add a "Requires: jabberd_backend" to the main package, so the
> user gets a popup from YaST to select one.

+1

>> Also, who says, that when somebody has installed jabberd and, say, the
>> MySQL client libraries, that he actually wants to use MySQL as the
>> storage backend for jabberd (and hence needs the MySQL plugin), and
>> not PostgreSQL, SQLite, or something else. Only the user knows this,
>> and that's why automatic dependencies and/or subpackages just don't
>> make sense for this package when looking for the best tradeoff between
>> ease of use, packaging complexity and space requirements.
>
> yes, so you need for mysql, postgresql and sqlite an own sub package.
> AFAIK it is done in that way with all packages we do have and can use
> different SQL backends.

Totally agree.

That's really the way to do it and, frankly, I don't see why those ugly
hacks are necessary.. just to avoid having a few jabberd-* subpackages ?

Reinhard, AFAICR, you were saying that having subpackages for backends
would be too difficult for end users to install/choose from.
If that's the reason for not doing it that way, then I wouldn't quite
agree.. handling explicitly broken/removed dependencies is much more
complex.

cheers
- --