Re: [opensuse-packaging] Removing 'gtk' [WAS: The return of usr-local-bin]
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:17:53 +0200
James Ogley píše v Út 13. 06. 2006 v 11:40 +0100:
> > James, this way you won't see which packages depend on libraries
> > provided by gtk. This command shows only those packages which have an
> > explicit dependency on gtk.
>
> D'oh! Yes of course, the dumb thing is that when I read Stanislav's
> email I thought of xmms as an example of a package that needs gtk...
>
> (Silly James, think, think!) :)
>
> > I agree now that there are still too many packages which depend on GTK1.
> > Stanislav has compiled a list here:
> > http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-packaging/2006-May/0045.html
> > It's quite a lot of stuff.
>
> It certainly is. Does anyone know if it's possible to build those
> packages using gtk1-compat-devel, or what would be required to do so?

I am going step by step and trying to compile. Many packages need manual
fixing or improvements of gtk1-compat-devel.

I plan to release gtk1-compat as a tarball and add it to GNOME CVS soon.

A big problem is imlib, used by many packages. I guess it would be
possible to wrap imlib to gdk-pixbuf or at least compile another imlib
with gdk2 (I tried it, but imlib heavily uses internals of gdk1).

My actual results:

xdelta - done long time ago, now turned on
loki_update - done, partially using upstream work
xmorph - done and fixed in upstream
powertweak - done and works, some runtime critical warnings occur

Work in progress / gave up. Any debugging or fixing is welcome. I can
send my patches to volunteers.

ardour - work in progress in upstream (ardour2)
alsaplayer - compiles after commenting out twice three lines around
style->font = foo, but does not work
xqf - compiles but does not start
Xdialog: One FIXME in if (Xdialog.fixed_font). Works, but computes
incorrectly font sizes of monospace font.
soundtracker - I wrote some code, gave up for now (I can send a partial
patch to any volunteer)
gentoo - gave up
manedit - did some fixes, gave up
vocalbin - gave up
ami - gave up
gau - did a small fix, then gave up
xmms - needs imlib
surf - working on fixes
pcsx - will need a dropped packer widget

third party packages:
ogle - upstream did it
MPlayer - upstream did it, but with gtk1-compat-devel with older
version:
problems popping up menu (basically works, but does not pop up in 99%
of cases)
problems with monospace fonts in About (the same as Xdialog)

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer