Re: [opensuse-packaging] The return of usr-local-bin
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:55:33 +0200
Andreas Hanke wrote:

> Stanislav Brabec schrieb:
> Maybe it could possible to drop GTK1 entirely in the
> near future, not only GNOME1.
>
> Some of the OSS apps in the distro were already ported using
> gtk1-compat-devel or can be replaced. However, there are a few
> commercial apps some people might care about, like NeroLinux.

And there are too many small utilities still using gtk1. I am just
improving gtk1-compat package (see FACTORY tree) - it now has a basic
libglade support (manual file conversion is still needed) and libxml1
support. It was able to compile (nearly correctly) old version of
MPlayer with gtk2, and also loki_update is moved to gtk2.

> > There is a potential problem with binary compatibility. It's easy to
> > make a symlink /opt/gnome -> /usr to provide this compatibility, but it
> > is a well known RPM issue, that it will delete required files after it.
>
> Naive question: Why would this symlink have to be handled by RPM? There
> could be a README file documenting that system administrators can set
> this symlink themselves after evacuating everything from /opt/gnome.

At least for SLES, we should keep binary compatibility in consequent
versions.

Yes, in case that user will not have any third party /opt/gnome packages
installed, it will work. But if user will have such, (s)he have to move
everything in /opt/gnome to /usr (not so trivial, you have to merge info
files, mandb etc.) and then set up link.

Everything will look OK up to next update of this third party package.
This update deadly fails with most files deleted after update. This is a
known issue of RPM.

> How was it handled in the past when the GNOME prefix changed from
> /opt/gnome2 to /opt/gnome?

No handling. SLES8 AFAIR have had GNOME 1.4 and in SLES9 have it already
moved to /opt/gnome.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec