Re: [opensuse-marketing] features of a new release
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 11:13:30 +0100
On Wednesday 16 January 2013 11:24:09 Chuck Payne wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Izabel Valverde

<izabelvalverde@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2013/1/15 Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Heya all,

Many of you have helped in the last 3-4 releases with writing the
'feature guide' or 'product highlights' and release announcements. You
know it is not an easy task - as a matter of fact, it's a huge amount
of work.

With 11.4 and 12.1 we had a reasonably collaborative process, but even
then we had almost no input from the actual package maintainers (for
whom it is very easy to record what changes there are in their
software). Instead, we had to go through long lists of packages,
trying to find out what is new.

Obviously, this doesn't really work. I've asked (as usual) if
maintainers/packagers will add changes in their software to the wiki
here: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Major_features

but honestly, I don't really expect that to work very well. I would
appreciate it if you kick developers you know, it would make a
difference. If however it again boils down to a handful of people who
barely know anything about the software having to go through all the
packages, we will have to change how we work. How - I don't really
know.

Maybe we can change the policy on submitting things to Factory, like
requiring a link to an upstream changelog on major releases or
anything.
Maybe you all have suggestions - ideas on improving this process are
really welcome.

The most important thing are of course changes really developed by and
for openSUSE - even those we often miss, like ownCloud integration in
openSUSE 12.1 (I heard about it 3 days before the release. Doesn't
that make you cry?). Again - we need a way to find and describe
them...

Thoughts?

Jos

Hey Jos, Hello all,

I believe the best way to get the contribution of our
supporters/manteiners/pacakgers would ask them what would be the
easiest way to help us find what's new. Explaining to them that we are
somewhat difficult to get this information they might suggest in how
best to seek except in seeking
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Major_features

I know this should have already been done but maybe a new call to help
us a bit more... We don't want to give an extra task for them, just an
indication of how to look without disrupting their work. Instead we
suggest would be better suggestion coming from them.

Developers make our gold and we will outshine :-D

With a single hint coming now would be helpful. I believe they would do
that.

Just a thought,

Izabel

Hey I am willing to help, do we have a site we can work on together
for this, like the old days?

For now, adding things to https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Major_features is
good. During the Hackaton I think we should simply move the content from
that page to the final location wile keeping the Major_features page open
for additions.

I added some stuff from the kernel for example, which is already perfectly
OK for the full feature guide...

So yeah, help there is welcome. Anything you know or can find out can be
added there.
< Previous Next >