Re: [opensuse-marketing] Marketing survey
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:19:50 +0200
On Tuesday 22 May 2012 19:22:17 Alexandre bonhomme wrote:
Dear all,
I read the wiki pages regarding marketing and strategy. Something
remains not clear to me: how to we proceed at openSUSE to turn
strategy definition and market share analysis into products and
features?

This is something extremely hard in a F/OSS setting like openSUSE. Companies
set goals and strategies top-down, then have this influence the work set by
management for developers. We have no central authority and our contributors
each have their own goals and reasons for helping out. Hence we don't have a
strategy in the traditional sense. Note that this is true for the majority of
Free Software projects - with those run in a top-down fashion as exception (eg
Mozilla, Apache, Ubuntu and some others).

In FOSS, strategy influences development in as far as it forms a shared set of
goals and mindset, influencing individual developers to a certain degree.

For us, strategy reflects status-quo and our near(er) term wishes and our
philosophy, not a far-reaching, ambitious vision of where we might want to go.
It's more of a clarification, focal point - and does in that way shape new
contributors/contributions and can be a guide in discussions.

Our strategy on the wiki has been the result of a long and hard process
lasting well over 2 years and while minor changes might be doable, I doubt
it'll go through a major revision anytime soon. But the next year might prove
me wrong - IF it changes, however, it will be in response to changes around
and within us, not the other way around.

Please, is there some place in which I can find this?

I'd recommend my blog, there's a number of posts about strategy:
http://blog.jospoortvliet.com

There's also some more writing about strategy in FOSS projects on the web but
as I said - it's quite different from what you find in the corporate world and
there's only a very small number of people who has any experience with it.
It's also not extremely useful for us which might explain that ;-)

Thanks
Best regards
Alexandre