[opensuse-marketing] openSUSE Main Page redesign
  • From: "Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <zonker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:16:01 -0400
Hi all,

A bit ago, Robert Lihm and Andreas Demmer put together a new design
for the openSUSE Web page. We'd like to get some comments on this
redesign *now* while it's in the design phase, as opposed to a bunch
of commentary *after* it's deployed. :-) (Or, to put it another way,
"speak now...")

The new design is here:

http://webtest.opensuse.org/en/

Some of the text is just placeholder text, so there's no need to worry
right now about the content on the page (unless you have a desire to
pitch in with that) -- but we do need some thought about the design.

Two good comments made during the meeting in IRC:

* The text links at the bottom (Get Software ... Wiki ... Build
Service) should be up top rather than at the bottom.
* It's necessary to scroll to get to a lot of the content. I don't
think this is entirely avoidable, but maybe it'd be possible to
minimize this?

I'm not a designer, but I'm wondering if it might make better use of
space to include the search bar in the grey box on the page?

Other thoughts?

Overall, I'm greatly impressed with this design. Andreas and Robert -
looks great!

Best,

Zonker
--