Re: [opensuse-m17n] Does our xim process need an update?
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 05:29:13 +0200,
Qiang Zhao wrote:

> 1, gnome-initial-setup (l don't get the reason why we deprecate,
> I don't find the reason in ML or any other docs.)

Are you sure that this means that we deprecates IM and IMFs (such as
fcitx and hime) other than IBus?
You can see previous emails:
Mr Takashi said we do not use gnome-initial-setup, and there already
have a discussion.

Note that the drop of gnome-initial-setup was about *only* SLE12.

I said I don't find the record, and don't know the reason.
For your question, I don't know what's your relationship between
"gnome-initial-setup" and "deprecates IM and IMFs other than IBus",
To tell the true, I still don't know.

For below 2 question:
What I want to discuss are features.
We should make the final decision of features, then discuss the
technical details, work load, child features under this decision. Right?

Well, no, other way round. Usually the decision comes at last.

The decision has to be made after evaluating all details (from
technical, political or whatever POVs) to judge whether it's feasible
or not.

It's same for FATE or any sane decision processes.

> 2, Create a selection table on GDM. it will call chameleon tongue's
desktop file
> later when customer successfully login.

Do you change lightdm, sddm, kdm, xdm as well as GDM to ask IM to use?
What I want to discuss are features.
We should provide the correct function to customer. that means we should
select which your "*dm" is our support, and which is not.

All these DMs are supported on openSUSE. If anything doesn't work
with them, it's flawed: either the framework has to be fixed or fix
all DMs properly.

If you suggestion is "make IMF selection mandatory at the (first)
login", it means that we'll have to provide a way to achieve this as
DM-agnostic, not depending on a single desktop environment. The use
of gnome-initial-setup might help for GNOME. But then we still need
to think the solutions for other DEs before moving to that direction.

thanks,

Takashi