Re: [opensuse-m17n] Does our xim process need an update?

在 2015年07月26日 15:37, Fuminobu TAKEYAMA 写道:
I've understood your opinion.

We have started to discuss technical problems to realize our idea
including your "manually selecting IM name".

> On this point, the default settings should be "auto select depending
> on the current locale"

This means that we still need "auto select" to allow users to use
some IMs before selecting IM and restarting at the first login.

If it is acceptable that users need to restart at the first login to use
IMs, I think "auto select" is not necessary.

# Of course, we must provide a mechanism to ask which IM the user wants
to use.

Fuminobu Takeyama

I want to say:
1, allow users to use some IMs before selecting IM at the first login is useful.
2, The "auto select" is not necessary;
3, We must provide a mechanism to ask which IM the user wants.

I think there are 2 ways to ask our costomer:
1, gnome-initial-setup ( l don't get the reason why we deprecate, I don't find the reason in ML or any other docs.)
Or create another program to take the position.
2, Create a selection table on GDM. it will call chameleon tongue's desktop file later when customer successfully login.

Qiang Zhao

On 2015年07月23日 20:40, Qiang Zhao wrote:
> On this point, the default settings should be "auto select
depending on
> the current locale"
> so far.

Sorry, I think I didn't express my thought very clearly, See the
previous discussion:

Qiang:
> 3, Select the default IM framework base language(current locale) is
useless in my opinion,
> So I think select-im only accept an IM name parameter, and set
for current user is enough.
> also, no need to divide in locale.d sub-folders. See my previous
email.

Takashi
> For IM "frameworks", it makes little sense to limit per locale,
> indeed. Most of IM frameworks are locale-agnostic. Rather their
> input method (engine) is specific to locale. e.g. only ibus or fcitx
> package is installed without the engine like ibus-mozc, it's almost
> useless.
>
> A related question is whether we should mandate the IM framework for
> all locales. If user doesn't need more than XKB, why another layer
> should be there to make things complicated?

Qiang:
> On the other hand,
- We still don't know which customer doesn't need more than XKB.
+ We still don't know which customer only need XKB.
> So I think the better solution is to make an option on
> chameleon-tongue/profile.d
> of XKB(No IM Frame work but only XKB).
+ At the same time, abandon "auto select depending on the current
locale"
> Please notice that even we choose by locales, it will not always be
right.

Takashi: