Re: [opensuse-m17n] Does our xim process need an update?
  • From: Fuminobu TAKEYAMA <ftake@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 16:37:57 +0900
I've understood your opinion.

We have started to discuss technical problems to realize our idea including your "manually selecting IM name".

> On this point, the default settings should be "auto select depending > on the current locale"

This means that we still need "auto select" to allow users to use
some IMs before selecting IM and restarting at the first login.

If it is acceptable that users need to restart at the first login to use IMs, I think "auto select" is not necessary.

# Of course, we must provide a mechanism to ask which IM the user wants to use.

Fuminobu Takeyama

On 2015年07月23日 20:40, Qiang Zhao wrote:
> On this point, the default settings should be "auto select depending on
> the current locale"
> so far.

Sorry, I think I didn't express my thought very clearly, See the
previous discussion:

Qiang:
> 3, Select the default IM framework base language(current locale) is
useless in my opinion,
> So I think select-im only accept an IM name parameter, and set
for current user is enough.
> also, no need to divide in locale.d sub-folders. See my previous
email.

Takashi
> For IM "frameworks", it makes little sense to limit per locale,
> indeed. Most of IM frameworks are locale-agnostic. Rather their
> input method (engine) is specific to locale. e.g. only ibus or fcitx
> package is installed without the engine like ibus-mozc, it's almost
> useless.
>
> A related question is whether we should mandate the IM framework for
> all locales. If user doesn't need more than XKB, why another layer
> should be there to make things complicated?

Qiang:
> On the other hand,
- We still don't know which customer doesn't need more than XKB.
+ We still don't know which customer only need XKB.
> So I think the better solution is to make an option on
> chameleon-tongue/profile.d
> of XKB(No IM Frame work but only XKB).
+ At the same time, abandon "auto select depending on the current locale"
> Please notice that even we choose by locales, it will not always be
right.

Takashi: