Re: [opensuse-m17n] Does our xim process need an update?
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 16:20:35 +0200,
Marguerite Su wrote:

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 10:06 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I thought GTK3_* and QT4_* are superfluous nowadays as Gtk3 and Qt4
look at GTK_* and QT_* variables as well?

I borrowed that setting from Debian a long time ago, so I have no idea
what's going on now.
Since you and Wengxt both said so, I think they're superfluous now.

I guess a wrapper like

#!/bin/sh
. /usr/lib/input-method/profile.d/auto/env
exec "$@"

would work. But it's doubtful whether such a dynamic switch is really
demanded. Even with this mechanism, an application needs to be
restart in anyway. If a DE has some session management, it can
restart itself and restores the session after refreshing the
IM-related environment variables.

You mean, just sourcing a script then everything will be all right?

I'll test what you say...I'm not sure if DE session management will
refresh itself when environment variable got changed

Oh no, I meant to manually restart (re-login) DE with the session
restore. This will actually restart everything in a shot.

Application restart is acceptable, I just don't want to relogin the DE...

But it will lead to inconsistency easily, e.g. some applications will
keep running with the old IM that was already terminated while some
new ones start using the new IM. In that sense, restarting all
applications is a safer option -- which is equivalent as a re-login.

If so, can we leave some space for 3rd party to step in? because if
input method framwork switch is doable, a YaST inputmethod won't be
too far away :-)

Well, the idea is technically interesting, but this seems bringing
more trouble than gain, so far. Most users don't care much about
switching IMF, as long as its usability is kept, but rather more about
IM engine...

Takashi