Re: [m17n] What progs modify /etc/fonts/local.conf file?
  • From: Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:45:37 +0000 (UTC)
Philip Amadeo Saeli <psaeli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> さんは書きました:

> SuSE Linux 9.2 Professional:
>
> What program(s) modify the config file /etc/fonts/local.conf? It seems
> to have been updated automatically recently. Also, the files
> /etc/fonts/Fontmap

This file doesn't even exist by default, but the KDE font installer
creates it, even if you don't change anything in the KDE font installer.

> and ~/.fonts.conf were also updated at the same time
> (within one minute). I've already looked at fonts-config and that
> doesn't seem to be it.

No, certainly not.

> I'm chasing down some font problems on my system (related to Chinese
> fonts) and am trying to figure out why the number of font entries listed
> via the various utilities (e.g., xlsfonts, xfontsel, fc-list) keeps
> changing even though I've not installed or removed any fonts nor have I
> attempted to alter their configuration.
>
> I did run the KDE Font Installer and simply browsed what fonts were
> installed, but did not make any changes, though additional font entries
> appeared after that run.

The KDE font installer modifies ~/.fonts.conf if you run it as regular
user. I creates /etc/fonts/Fontmap and modifies /etc/fonts/local.conf
if you run it as root.

The change done by the KDE font installer to /etc/fonts/local.conf
appears to be harmless. It just adds

<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/</dir>
<dir>/opt/kde3/share/fonts</dir>

These directories are already in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf so it
doesn't make any difference.

/etc/fonts/Fontmap is a ghostscript Fontmap, unless you are printing
anything with Ghostscript it doesn't matter.

> Also, the fonts module of SuSEconfig runs
> (along with all the other SuSEconfig modules) every time I install any
> updates via YOU, and several font entries disappeared after the most
> recent run. Help!

You can run it manually with

SuSEconfig --module fonts

or you can use

/usr/sbin/fonts-config --force

if you want to make sure the complete setup is created from scratch
without checking any timestamps.

--
Mike FABIAN <mfabian@xxxxxxx> http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。