Re: [m17n] CJK support of Eterm and aterm
  • From: Mike Fabian <mfabian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 21:25:37 +0000 (UTC)
"hillmanhk" <hillmanhk@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> It's my first time to use this mail list, hi all^^
>
> When I try to use the multi-language support options of Eterm and aterm,
> i.e. --mencoding, -mfont of Eterm,
> -km, -fm of aterm,

> I'll get an error message that they don't recognize those options,
> it seems that they are compiled without enable multi-language
> function. Could you help me?

Yes, aterm is configured without --enable-kanji and --enable-big5 and
Eterm is configured without options for Asian languages as well.

The reason is that as soon as you compile aterm with these options, it
won't work correctly for European languages anymore. You will loose
the ability to display German umlauts for example.

It is quite similar with Eterm, last time I tried, I found no easy way
not to break support for European languages when configuring with
--enable-multi-charset and --enable-xim.

A terminal with proper multilingual support should choose the correct
encoding depending on the value of LC_CTYPE. For example mlterm and
rxvt do it like that:

LC_CTYPE=de_DE@euro mlterm
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 mlterm
LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.Big5 mlterm

will start mlterms using ISO-8859-15, UTF-8, and Big5 encoding with
suitable fonts.

Both aterm and Eterm would need some patches to make this work well.
And I don't know whether this is worth the effort.

What's wrong with mlterm and rxvt?

Is there a special reason why you need to use aterm or Eterm?

--
Mike Fabian <mfabian@xxxxxxx> http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。