Re: [m17n] Chinese in an English KDE
  • From: Mike Fabian <mfabian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:56:55 +0000 (UTC)
Jethro Cramp <jsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> How do I setup my environment so that I can have kde setup to be in English
> and all kde programs + OOo and yet I can still write in simplified Chinese.

Please have a look at

http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/xim.html

The easiest way is if you just make sure that LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GB2312
while X11 is started, either by adding

export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GB2312

that to your ~/.profile or by changing the system default in
/etc/sysconfig/language (/etc/rc.config.d/lang.rc.config on SuSE 7.3).

Then, xcin for simplified Chinese will start automatically when
X11 is started and LC_CTYPE and XMODIFIERS are already set
correctly for using xcin. This should work well for English
and Chinese.

If you are brave want to be able to use other languages at the same
time, you can try

LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8

instead, then xcin will start as well during start of X11, and you
will also be able to display not only Chinese and English but also
many other languages.

If the above is not yet enough and you have more special wishes which
input servers should start when X11 starts, edit /.xim and customize
that.

--
Mike Fabian <mfabian@xxxxxxx> http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。