From: Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:22 PM
To: Tardif, Christian <christian.tardif@xxxxxxx>
Cc: opensuse-kubic@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse-kubic] MicroOS custom image build

Hello,

On Wed, Mar 06, Tardif, Christian wrote:

Two questions here:
2) Providing that everything is automated and standardized, using
cloud-init NoCloud datasource is not an option (as it's unlikely we'll be
having a connected unpartitioned disk to hold the cloud-init configuration),
and I haven't been able to make the LocalDisk datasource (again, I most
probably just haven't the docs required to make it work).

Beside answers I also have some questions about this. Why do you need to
configure the image with cloud-init, if the configuration file is already part
of the image itself? Wouldn't it be easier to directly configure the image
correct at build time? Or what is your usecase here? And what do you want to
configure with it?

I'm asking because we will replace cloud-init for Non-Cloud environments with
ignition short to midterm. cloud-init is big and slows down the boot process
dramatically and has for our usecase quite some design issues.

About your problem: since MicroOS is small and boots fast (it only has very few
services), we see from time to time race conditions with some applications.
Especially ds-identify/cloud-init-generator from cloud-init have a problem here
and don't detect datasources reliable. Beside that "LocalDisk" is not yet
integrated (and most likely will not if we switch to ignition).
When you create the image, you could create a file /etc/cloud/ds-identify.cfg
with the content: "policy: enabled".
Most likely ds=nocloud or ds=localdisk could also help. But I haven't tested
that.

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS SUSE
LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany