Re: [opensuse-kubic] MicroOS custom image build

Hello,

On Wed, Mar 06, Tardif, Christian wrote:

Two questions here:
2) Providing that everything is automated and standardized, using
cloud-init NoCloud datasource is not an option (as it's unlikely we'll be
having a connected unpartitioned disk to hold the cloud-init configuration),
and I haven't been able to make the LocalDisk datasource (again, I most
probably just haven't the docs required to make it work).

Beside answers I also have some questions about this. Why do you need to
configure the image with cloud-init, if the configuration file is already
part of the image itself? Wouldn't it be easier to directly configure
the image correct at build time? Or what is your usecase here? And
what do you want to configure with it?

I'm asking because we will replace cloud-init for Non-Cloud environments
with ignition short to midterm. cloud-init is big and slows down the
boot process dramatically and has for our usecase quite some design
issues.

About your problem: since MicroOS is small and boots fast (it only has
very few services), we see from time to time race conditions with some
applications. Especially ds-identify/cloud-init-generator from cloud-init
have a problem here and don't detect datasources reliable. Beside
that "LocalDisk" is not yet integrated (and most likely will not if we
switch to ignition).
When you create the image, you could create a file
/etc/cloud/ds-identify.cfg with the content: "policy: enabled".
Most likely ds=nocloud or ds=localdisk could also help. But I haven't
tested that.

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS