[opensuse-kubic] Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2018/36
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 15:53, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
<dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Tumbleweed users and hackers,

This week was not a record when it comes to the number of snapshots,
but there was a steady flow. There were just a couple days where none
of the staging projects was in a state to be merged into Tumbleweed –
which in turn means we also did not produce a new snapshot to throw at
openQA daily. So, with this in mind, the three snapshots (0831, 0903
and 0905) released during this week is actually a good number. One
snapshot (0904) was discarded.

Changes that are in the delivered snapshots:

* dbus 1.12.10
* ucode-intel 20180807a
* hexchat2.14.2
* PHP 7.2.9
* Virtualbox 5.2.18

There are still a good number of interesting changes upcoming:

* glibc 2.28; the split of libxcrypt causes some build failures
* OpenSSL 1.1.1
* Boost 1.68
* python 3.7
* ncurses 6.1-20180707: breaks Xen (deprecations added, Xen builds
with -Werror)
* Usage of the new System Role selection instead of the legacy
‘desktop selection’

Cheers,
Dominique

PS: for the next two weeks, Max Lin will be taking care of Tumbleweed

For those interested in Kubic the latest snapshot released today is
the first which includes Podman/CRI-O as its default container
runtime.

CRI-O is the increasingly popular replacement the docker engine as the
container runtime for Kubernetes. It was convinently annouced today
that CRI-O is no longer an 'incubator' project but now an official
part of Kubernetes upstream

Podman gives a commandline interface to CRI-O with very similar syntax
to the `docker` cli tool.

I ask people to download the latest snapshot and play about, please
send feedback to the opensuse-kubic@xxxxxxxxxxxx mailinglist

Docker remains available in Kubic for those who still wish to use it.
But CRI-O will be the most heavily tested and the first we care about
going forward.

Expect a more detailed blog post on kubic.opensuse.org when I'm back
from vacation

Cheers
Richard