[opensuse-kernel] Re: Could CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK be enabled in the TW builds?
On Sun 21 Aug 2016 10:42:00 AM CDT, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

On 8/20/16 1:20 AM, Jason DeRose wrote:
On Thu, Aug 18, 2016, at 09:20 AM, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 04:58:38PM +0200, Michal Marek wrote:
On 2016-08-17 12:31, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:51:19PM -0400, Jason DeRose wrote:
Just to be clear - I wasn't suggesting that radeon be
blacklisted for Sea Island yet. But, with
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=y set the user then has the option to
blacklist radeon and choose amdgpu instead themselves.

I'm a bit afraid, that it will be random at the end, which driver
will get active, when two drivers are available. This may result
in a lot of confusion. I would like to avoid that by removing
support in radeon driver in case we decide to support Sea Islands
GPUs via amdgpu driver.

Radeon should load first, since it's listed before amdgpu in the
Makefile and kmod respects that order:
$ grep -n -e amdgpu -e radeon /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.order
361:kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko
362:kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu.ko

So it *should* be safe to have both modules support a range of
devices.

Ok. In that case feel free to enable support for Sea Islands GPUs in
amdgpu
driver.

Thanks,
Stefan

Great! I wasn't sure the next step, but I went ahead and created a
Pull Request on github. I'm not sure if master is the correct
branch. Let me know if there is something else I should do.

Thanks, Jason. I've pulled your branch and pushed to master. The
correct branch for Tumbleweed is "stable." This change will eventually
make it to the stable branch but it'll only happen automatically after
we reach v4.8 upstream.

BTW, AFAIK this is the first pull from the github repo. The github
repo is actually a clone of our internal repository so we can't use
github pull requests directly, but since github is just git behind the
scenes, it was super easy to just pull directly from your branch.
This might be a vector we can use to easily accept changes from
community members. Our internal repo won't allow commits from external
community members to land without a merge commit from one of the
kernel maintainers, so it's not unsafe. Thanks to Michal Marek for
making that work.

-Jeff

Hi
I have a Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics] [1002:9851], seems
it got missed?
http://kernel.opensuse.org/cgit/kernel/commit/?h=stable&id=ac9a015a9094695e49136425b4c094e04283ed0f

Once added that and recompiled the module all was good, aside from
mullins support seems to be missing from xf86-video-amdgpu which I had
to patch in and re-generate the pci id info?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.27-27-default