Re: [opensuse-kernel] Could CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK be enabled in the TW builds?
On 8/20/16 1:20 AM, Jason DeRose wrote:
On Thu, Aug 18, 2016, at 09:20 AM, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 04:58:38PM +0200, Michal Marek wrote:
On 2016-08-17 12:31, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:51:19PM -0400, Jason DeRose wrote:
Just to be clear - I wasn't suggesting that radeon be blacklisted for
Sea Island yet. But, with CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=y set the user then has
the option to blacklist radeon and choose amdgpu instead themselves.

I'm a bit afraid, that it will be random at the end, which driver will get
active, when two drivers are available. This may result in a lot of
confusion. I would like to avoid that by removing support in radeon driver
in
case we decide to support Sea Islands GPUs via amdgpu driver.

Radeon should load first, since it's listed before amdgpu in the
Makefile and kmod respects that order:
$ grep -n -e amdgpu -e radeon /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.order
361:kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko
362:kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu.ko

So it *should* be safe to have both modules support a range of devices.

Ok. In that case feel free to enable support for Sea Islands GPUs in
amdgpu
driver.

Thanks,
Stefan

Great! I wasn't sure the next step, but I went ahead and created a Pull
Request on github. I'm not sure if master is the correct branch. Let me
know if there is something else I should do.

Thanks, Jason. I've pulled your branch and pushed to master. The
correct branch for Tumbleweed is "stable." This change will eventually
make it to the stable branch but it'll only happen automatically after
we reach v4.8 upstream.

BTW, AFAIK this is the first pull from the github repo. The github repo
is actually a clone of our internal repository so we can't use github
pull requests directly, but since github is just git behind the scenes,
it was super easy to just pull directly from your branch. This might be
a vector we can use to easily accept changes from community members.
Our internal repo won't allow commits from external community members to
land without a merge commit from one of the kernel maintainers, so it's
not unsafe. Thanks to Michal Marek for making that work.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Mahoney
SUSE Labs