Re: [opensuse-kernel] Could CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK be enabled in the TW builds?
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 04:58:38PM +0200, Michal Marek wrote:
On 2016-08-17 12:31, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:51:19PM -0400, Jason DeRose wrote:
Just to be clear - I wasn't suggesting that radeon be blacklisted for
Sea Island yet. But, with CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=y set the user then has
the option to blacklist radeon and choose amdgpu instead themselves.

I'm a bit afraid, that it will be random at the end, which driver will get
active, when two drivers are available. This may result in a lot of
confusion. I would like to avoid that by removing support in radeon driver
in
case we decide to support Sea Islands GPUs via amdgpu driver.

Radeon should load first, since it's listed before amdgpu in the
Makefile and kmod respects that order:
$ grep -n -e amdgpu -e radeon /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.order
361:kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko
362:kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu.ko

So it *should* be safe to have both modules support a range of devices.

Ok. In that case feel free to enable support for Sea Islands GPUs in amdgpu
driver.

Thanks,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany