Re: [opensuse-kernel] Could CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK be enabled in the TW builds?
On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 11:35:29PM -0400, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
On 8/13/16 3:15 PM, Jason DeRose wrote:
Hello there!

I was hoping it would possible to enable CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK in the
stable kernel builds?

This would allow AMD Hawaii owners to use the new "amdgpu" drivers. As
it stands, those wanting reasonable 3D performance can't upgrade past
kernel 4.4 because the proprietary "fglrx" driver is obsoleted in later
versions, leaving "radeon" as the only choice.

I have compiled locally with this config setting and the amdgpu driver
seems to work pretty well. I don't think this would affect anyone
negatively as users would still need to manually disable the "radeon"
driver and pass the kernel parameter to enable amdgpu on experimental
hardware before the driver would be chosen.

Thank you for the consideration!

Egbert, Stefan -

Do you have an opinion here? I left it disabled because it was marked
as experimental (and still is).

Not exactly, but: 'Sea islands' GPUs (Kaveri, Bonaire, Hawaii, Kabini,
mullins) are also supported by radeon driver, so one needs to blacklist that
driver on target systems with CI GPUs (and only on these!) in order to switch
to amdgpu driver. As long as this remains unknown enabling it would be rather
useless.

Also once amdgpu support for CIK is considered stable, one needs to disable
support in radeon driver. Hope upstream is not going to forget this ...

So, if we want to enable it on SUSE, we need to disable it in radeon driver.
So this would mean a patch, which may never become upstream ...

Thanks,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany