Re: [opensuse-kernel] 11.4 kernel on 12.1
On Monday 12 March 2012 02:21:18 pm Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 12.03.2012 14:17, schrieb Bernhard M. Wiedemann:

[ a nice "kernel bisection for beginners" guide ]

you do something like this:

# initial setup:
git clone
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.gi
t cd linux-2.6
git bisect start
git bisect good v3.0
git bisect bad v3.1
# this will automatically checkout something from the middle

# bisection work:
cp -a /boot/config-3.1.9-1.4-default .config
sed -i s/CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO.*// .config # speeds up compile

It's not just a matter of speeding up... kernels built with
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO are huge, and you don't necessarily have 4 GB of hard
disk drive at hand.

I also suggest stripping LOCALVERSION in the configuration file, as it
has no meaning while performing the bisection.

make cloneconfig

I do "make oldconfig" here instead... cloneconfig seems redundant as you
copied the configuration file manually in the first place.

# build with
make -j4 # or number of your CPU cores
# if it did not build, run git bisect skip
# try the resulting kernel (under arch/x86/boot/bzImage)

Something like "make install" is needed here (but I have to admit
that I have not used a complete self-built kernel on openSUSE for
quite some time, so it might be something else. Anyway. You need to
install the built kernel. preferably without overwriting the
rpm-installed one here.)

Actually:
# make modules_install && make install
is needed.

# if it worked, do
git bisect good
# if it failed, do
git bisect bad
# which will checkout another middle version
# repeat above bisection work until done

--
Jean Delvare
Suse L3