Re: [opensuse-kernel] preload-kmp madness
On 30 June 2011 16:01, Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Thu, 30 Jun 2011 06:30:29 -0700
schrieb Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>:

Because not everyone wants/needs it, so it will not be part of the
"main" kernel package.

It's 128kb wasted disk space. And in return for that waste, no update
problems anymore. Sounds like a fair deal.

/lib/modules > 128 MB, 0.1% "fat" and bundling avoids configuration
errors by end user to. It would mean, I can't have "preload" turned
on for desktop kernel, with it off on the default kernel for
comparison.

Could a kernel update, obsolete past versions of the preload_kmp package?
May be the solver then would recommend preload-kmp removal, instead of
hefty downgrade to 11.4 kernel, followed by upgrade once the
preload-kmp is rebuilt

In factory thread (see
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.devel/33839) came
across same "FIBMAP" problem, Stefan commented on (see
http://old.nabble.com/linux-login%3A-FIBMAP%3A-Invalid-argument-td29040908.html)
and I have vague memory of patching the script just after 11.2 came
out to ignore pids < 0 or some such.

Either there's good reasons not to install preload, or it needs to
save the errors to file and syslog a summary report after it's done on
booting.

If there's good reasons not to have the preload-kmp module on a
system, perhaps the feature is more trouble than it's worth?

Time from GRUB -> kdm login
32 secs with preload
33 secs without

Think that may not be the best test, as it may help getting to a
responsive desktop more; I know preload is still running after kdm
because that's when the FIBMAP errors occur.

Rob