Re: [opensuse-kernel] update/11.2-test Kernel 2.6.31.8-0.1-desktop - 2nd disk & USB Mass storage swapped drive letters
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 20:29:28 +0000
2009/12/19 Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
2009/12/19 Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>:
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 01:07:30PM +0000, Rob OpenSuSE wrote:

For the others some error messages would be helpful ...
Not sure about the USB renames, but they should not matter really as USB
mass storage devices can easily different /dev/sdX any time they are plugged
in.

Yes, but the static hard disks have generally been assigned first,
it's first time I have seen USB disk take sdb, rather than higher
letters so I thought I'd report it.

Sorry not clear enough. There are still 2 internal hard disks, so the
USB has taken the device name used by non-root device, prior to the
update which would cause failing fsck's if I had used traditional
devices rather than flexible disk labels and /dev/disk/by-id device
pathnames.

Rob