Re: [opensuse-kernel] update/11.2-test Kernel 2.6.31.8-0.1-desktop - 2nd disk & USB Mass storage swapped drive letters
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:54:33 +0100
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 01:07:30PM +0000, Rob OpenSuSE wrote:
Tried out the kernel update from 11.2-test, seems alright so far but
thought better give heads up on drive name change.

Trying to break things, I had /boot read-only, and remounted after
checking the error popup. Did have some issues with the preload
kernel module package, perhaps because I had a kernel-vanilla
installed as well as desktop, which I upgraded first rather than
running whole patch. Anyway, on first boot up after loading the
preload package, when hitting ESC I noticed some unexpected error
messages re object files not being found very early on, before udev is
started. The next boot was clean.

When I looked, a USB mass storage device has become sdb, and the 2nd
hard disk is sdc. Because I mount using Labels it's not a problem for
me, but thought I better report this in case, it's not due to my
system glitch, but more general affecting ppl using device names
statically.

You need to update the preload-kmp-desktop the same time as kernel-desktop
itself.

For the others some error messages would be helpful ...
Not sure about the USB renames, but they should not matter really as USB
mass storage devices can easily different /dev/sdX any time they are plugged in.

Ciao, Marcus