Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Hardware enablement in kernel updates
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:07:39 +0100
On 16.12.2009 12:57, Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:13:56 +0100,
Michal Marek wrote:

If building KMPs is hard, then maybe we should work at making it
easier.

Agreed, but if the code is going to be taken care of by the same people
who take care of the kernel (at least this is how I read Jeff's
proposal), then no matter how we try, maintaining the kernel + dozen of
KMPs will never be easier than maintaining everything on one place.
Think of e.g. fixes in driver subsystems that affect both core code and
the drivers - having to fix such things in multiple packages is not
gonna be fun.

One merit of KMP is the quickness of update.

Right, that's an advantage. But you can create the KMP when there is
real need for such fast update, it doesn't have to be delivered as KMP
from the very start. Also, I don't think this is relevant to what Jeff
is proposing, the step forward is to have the drivers available at all,
not to update them as fast as possible.

In short, KMPs are a good solution to some problems, but when there is
no problem, why bother solving it :).

Michal