Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Hardware enablement in kernel updates
  • From: Jean Delvare <jdelvare@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:19:32 +0100
Le mardi 15 décembre 2009 20:08, Jeff Mahoney a écrit :
On 12/15/2009 02:06 PM, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Hi Jeff,

first: I generally agree with Hubert: "making people happy is good".
Additionally, I am not really affected as I am running FACTORY anyway ;)
Just one question...

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:09:59 -0500
Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

The particular driver I was asked about is completely standalone. I
don't have a problem including it since it won't affect anything else.

Then it should be easy to build it as a KMP and provide via the
buildservice, shouldn't it?

(I'm not saying that this is better for the user or anything, just
pointing out that there is another option)

Yep. That's definitely an option, but ends up actually being more work
than just adding it to the tree.

But it offers a much higher degree of flexibility. You can provide
several versions of the driver for different categories of users, and
they can switch easily if anything goes wrong.

If building KMPs is hard, then maybe we should work at making it
easier.

--
Jean Delvare
Suse L3