[opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Hardware enablement in kernel updates
  • From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:44:30 -0500

On 12/15/2009 12:20 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
On 12/14/2009 07:09 PM, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

I think this is a good idea. The current policy heavily penalizes the
user whose hardware was supported by the kernel that was released just
after the distro was frozen. Most of my activity is with wireless
drivers, which have many changes with each kernel release, as well as
manufacturers releasing new hardware on a regular basis.

For me, kernel 2.6.32 is much more usable than 2.6.31 because one of my
devices is a Broadcom BCM4312. It must be said, however, that the
changes needed to support that chip are likely to be too invasive to fit
under your guidelines. That will be the hardest part of implementing the
proposed changes - how invasive can the changes be?

Does your proposed new policy automatically exclude those drivers in
staging?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean updating staging/ drivers
or adding new ones? I have no problem adding new staging/ drivers. They
definitely fit the "standalone" requirement.

I don't have any objections to revving staging/ drivers in general. Most
changes will only improve their quality. I don't really want to say
that it will happen automatically, though. That ends up being quite a
lot of work for kernel teams that are already heavily overloaded.

OTOH, now that we have a public git repo, I wouldn't be opposed
accepting pull requests that rev staging drivers. There are a lot of
things we could end up doing that we haven't in the past if we have more
community involvement.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney