Re: [opensuse-kernel] kernel-docs package
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:35:42 +0100
Jean Delvare napsal(a):
Le jeudi 10 décembre 2009 21:47, Michal Marek a écrit :
Jeff Mahoney napsal(a):
I wonder if there are ways that we can creatively work on dependent
builds. The kernel binaries should be dependent on kernel-source as
well,
Why?

and mbuild is the only reason they're not. The build service can
handle it. People using rpmbuild can use it. It's mbuild that's the issue.
But is it practical then? I mean to build a kernel, you just build a
kernel-$flavor.spec. If you make kernel-$flavor.spec dependent on
kernel-source, then you always have to first build kernel-source.spec

... which is a sane thing to do anyway, as you "must" distribute
kernel-source with any binary kernel package in order to comply with
the GPL.

How does this relate to build ordering?

(which spends good amount of time in rpmlint),

... peanuts compared to the build time of actual kernel flavors.

On a machine with lots of cpus, the non-paralelized parts like rpmlint
and find-debuginfo.sh are the most annoying part. We try to optimize
this, not add more. Nevertheless, I most concerned about this:

and what's worse, if you
forget this step, then the next build will pick up whatever
kernel-source package is in the repository.

It's already non-trivial to build your custom kernel and KMPs against
it, let's not add this complexity to the actual kernel build.

Michal