Re: [opensuse-kernel] kernel-docs package
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:33:22 +0100
On 10.12.2009 09:32, Ruediger Oertel wrote:
On Thursday 10 December 2009 01:54:58 Jeff Mahoney wrote:
I propose that we make kernel-docs a linked package to the
kernel-source package and BuildRequires the kernel-source package. The
documentation can be generated with a make -C $SRC O=$PWD instead,
negating the need to copy _anything_. Making it a linked package means
that the version numbers get set automatically by mkspec. Right now, the
kernel-docs package is version 2.6.3 but built against whatever
kernel-source is in the repo.

definitely a good idea. I was part of those that started this package and at
that time I did the copying around of the sources to be able to patch things
whenever "make docs" broke because some source file processor was not
able to grok the source code anymore. If this is more visible to the kernel
hackers (which I assume it will by being in the same source directory)
these issues can be fixed directly instead of hacking around "postmortem" ...

Due to the way the kotd scripts work (no support for dependent builds),
it won't be built as part the kotd. How long does it take to generate
the docs? Maybe we could build it directly from kernel-source.spec. But
let's import it to the kernel git first and then discuss possible
improvements.

Michal