Re: [opensuse-kernel] keeping the 10.3 kotd?
  • From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:00:22 -0500

On 12/04/2009 05:41 AM, Michal Marek wrote:
Hi,

openSUSE 10.3 is EOL and so is the SL103_BRANCH in kernel git. I see
there is one more patch that was committed after the last kernel update:

commit 874207faf01e7231972a2ba30b9c7a6e7722f48a
Author: Suresh Jayaraman <sjayaraman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue Aug 25 19:40:20 2009 +0530

- patches.fixes/cifs-fix-overflow-in-cifs_readdir: cifs: Increase
size of tmp_buf in cifs_readdir to avoid potential overflows
(bnc#492282,CVE-2009-1633).

Is there interest in keeping the 10.3 kotd for a while? Deleting it
would save some 3GB on ftp.suse.com, so unless someone really wants the
packages, I'll nuke them:

du -m SL103_BRANCH/ | sort -n
53 SL103_BRANCH/src
658 SL103_BRANCH/ppc
857 SL103_BRANCH/x86_64
1479 SL103_BRANCH/i586
3046 SL103_BRANCH/

Alternatively, I can delete the debuginfos and keep the runtime packages
for some time:

du -m --exclude='*-debuginfo*' SL103_BRANCH/ | sort -n
53 SL103_BRANCH/src
98 SL103_BRANCH/ppc
125 SL103_BRANCH/x86_64
170 SL103_BRANCH/i586
445 SL103_BRANCH/

Of course, if someone wants to provide fixes for the SL103_BRANCH, I'll
happily merge and build them, but I don't think that many people are
interested in the 2.6.22 kernel ;).

Hi Michal -

With 10.3 EOL, and more importantly with disabled update channels, it's
time to kill off this branch in KOTD.

I know there are users still using 10.3 out there (since I've seen the
comparisons between them in bug reports), but we promised two years of
updates when we released it and we passed that mark two months ago.

We're no longer checking in security updates, let alone general bug
fixes. I'd prefer not to have an "official unofficial" update channel
via KOTD.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney