Re: [opensuse-kernel] tracer in 2.6.32...
  • From: Matthias Hopf <mhopf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:45:12 +0100
On Dec 02, 09 19:12:03 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
any particular reason why approximately all tracers in the kernel are
not compiled as modules by default in 2.6.32rc?
In particular, I'm interested in the sysprof tracer, because I use
sysprof every now and then. I checked the config, and all
CONFIG_*_TRACER are not set.

I don't see the reasoning behind that ATM, as the according tracer can
only be loaded and activated by root.

I also don't know the reason, but doesn't perf work enough for you?

Not even close. You need to recompile for perf, it only profiles a
single application, output is unreadable.

oprofile also doesn't work. While in theory it should be better, I
couldn't get it working correctly (stack traces > 2 entries), there was
no (zero) support for getting it working, and output is unreadable.

sysprof just flies, is trivial to use, has a very reasonable GUI tool,
and is good enough.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf@xxxxxxx>, SuSE R&D, Zimmer 2.2.6, Tel. 74053-715