Re: [opensuse-kernel] Kernel module creation for >=11.1
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:07:35 -0800
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:40:57PM +0000, Andrew Wafaa wrote:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:14:54 -0800
Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I can't say exactly what is missing but all I know is I need the
following packaged as KMPs since 10.3 and I have tried without in
11.1Beta4 and failed:

ACPI - The current package by Oliver Beng on the Build service
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=asus_acpi&project=home%3Aappleonkel%3AEEE

This should no longer be needed, as it already is in the opensuse 11.1
kernel package by default, as it is part of mainline already.

Events - The current package by Vincent Steenhoute on the Build
Service
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=eeeEvents&project=home%3Aciv75%3AEEE

Not sure if the events one is kernel related.

Then why is it needed?

Did you try this hardware without any additional kmps added? What did
not work?

thanks,

greg k-h

Aloha,

I did indeed try 11.1B4 on the hardware (eeePC701-4G). ACPI doesnt
seem to be working, power management complains about it.

Please file a bug for this, we'll look into it.

As for the events, that is needed to be able to utilise the hardware
buttons to access volume/brightness/other functions via the keyboard.
It also enables the OnScreenDisplay notifications for the button
presses.

So this is a kernel module? Or is it just a userspace program?

thanks,

greg k-h