Re: [opensuse-kernel] opensuse 11.0 kernel patch justification needed from you
  • From: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:26:41 +0100
On Friday 08 February 2008 05:31:48 Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 09:42:22AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
On Tuesday 05 February 2008 23:10:07 Greg KH wrote:

If these defaults are too small, why haven't we got upstream to take
the change?:
patches.suse/shmall-bigger

There is a change being worked on upstream (or rather mm) to do this more
generically.

Ok, will we know when those changes get merged so we no longer have to
take this patch?

Either .25 (I think it was already in -mm so it might be a late merge) or .26 I
guess.

patches.fixes/tiocgdev

This is needed for init. There is unfortunately some philosophical
disagreement on that one for mainline (I tried to submit it a long time
ago).
Maintainer is Werner Fink.

Probably would make sense to resubmit it -- i'm a little tired of
always seeing the "kernel does not support TIOCGDEV" messages
when I boot a mainline kernel.

I'll try to push it.

The problem was iirc Al Viro not happy about a dev_t being passed
around. But we can probably argue it is a legacy interface by now
(it has been in SUSE kernels for many many years)

patches.suse/crasher-26.diff

This one is a valuable debugging tool and should be probably
submitted.

patches.suse/twofish-2.6 (We gotta be able to drop this one
now, right? If not, why isn't it
upstream?)

No we can't because that would break updates with encrypted file systems.

But there already is a twofish crypto module in the upstream kernel.
Why are we adding another one?

They are not compatible on disk.

Shouldn't we use the one already there?
If there are problems with the upstream one, we should fix it, not just
drag in another new implementation.

The two modules just adapt cryptoloop to twofish, but do it in different
ways. I'm not sure it would make that much sense to merge them.

I guess it would make sense to submit this one upstream though.

-Andi