[opensuse-kernel] Re: opensuse 11.0 kernel patch justification needed from you
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 20:36:42 -0800
On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 01:55:00PM +0100, Kurt Garloff wrote:
Greg,

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 02:10:07PM -0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
Kurt Garloff:
Why isn't this one upstream? It's been in our tree for ages, which
tends to make me think it's no longer needed for us?
patches.suse/scsi-error-test-unit-ready-timeout

I sent it once (a looooong time ago), probably should send it again.
It did fix a real problem.

That would be great. Or do you want me to push it with the others in
this series I'm going to try to get there?

We should be able to drop this now:
patches.suse/setuid-dumpable-wrongdir

Upstream got it wrong and set a wrong de-facto standard :-(

As we had it right in SLES9, this patch keeps us compatible
with SLES9. We're also compatible with mainline: The file
exists twice :-( That's a PITA as well, but the smallest of
all evils I believe.

Ok, we're stuck with this for forever then? Ugh, no fun...

No more maintainer, or no valid "Signed-off-by:" from a Novell developer:
I'm going to drop these, unless someone really feels that they should
be in our kernel tree. If so, please let me know by the end of the
week. Maybe I should just throw them at lkml, as we are using them
for some reason. If they don't stick, they should probably be
gone...
patches.fixes/bridge-module-get-put.patch

Jan Beulich owns it

patches.fixes/do_anonymous_page-race

patches.fixes/grab-swap-token-oops

Hmmm, if this is real, then it should go upstream/

patches.fixes/ieee1394-sbp2_long_sysfs_ieee1394_id.patch
patches.fixes/ipv6-no-autoconf
patches.fixes/oom-warning

This saved real support load.

patches.fixes/parport-mutex
patches.fixes/remount-no-shrink-dcache

Should go upstream IMHO

patches.fixes/seccomp-disable-tsc-option
patches.fixes/tiocgdev

Our boot logging daemon (blogd) needs it and this SUSE patch exists
since the last century or so (!). Werner submitted it numerous times
but some people were arguing that you could achieve similar things
without the patch. I think Werner has not treid for a few years now ...
Please talk to Werner Fink.

Will do.

patches.fixes/tulip-quad-NIC-ifdown
patches.suse/connector-read-mostly
patches.suse/crasher-26.diff
patches.suse/filp-slab-rcu
patches.suse/lockd-max-hosts-dynamic (and other lockd stuff,
should all be dropped I
feel, as we don't have
anyone who cares about
it anymore here...)

I would suggest that Neil Brown reviews them and decides on dropping vs
submission.

patches.suse/netfilter-ipt_LOG-mac
patches.suse/sysctl-add-affinity_load_balancing

Could be a real significant performance tweak.
I suggest Andi looks at it.

patches.suse/twofish-2.6 (We gotta be able to drop this one
now, right? If not, why isn't it
upstream?)
patches.suse/unmap_vmas-lat

As we have a real RT kernel, we can drop this one.

I'll do that.

thanks,

greg k-h