[opensuse-kernel] Re: opensuse 11.0 kernel patch justification needed from you
  • From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 17:26:03 -0500

Greg KH wrote:
Hi all,

As I'm going to be the one trying to manage the 11.0 kernel release, I
figured it was time to take a look at all of the patches we have in our
tree, and see why they are not upstream already.

So, here's a breakdown of all 228 patches in our "normal" kernel tree
(I'm ignoring the -rt tree right now, that's just crazy at the
moment...)

I'd like all of the developers here to at least respond with a reason
why their patches are in the tree and not in mainline already. If they
patch will show up in 2.6.25, let us know, and we can properly mark it
as such. If it's a feature that isn't upstream, and it isn't obvious
why, please let us know.

reiserfs patches:
patches.suse/reiserfs-add-per-file-data-ordered-mode.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-add-reiserfs_error.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-buffer-info-for-balance.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-cleanup-path-funcs.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-consistent-messages.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-eliminate-per-super-xattr-lock.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-journaled-xattrs.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-kill-xattr-readdir.diff

patches.suse/reiserfs-make-per-inode-xattr-locking-more-fine-grained.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-mount-count
patches.suse/reiserfs-rearrange-journal-abort.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-reiserfs-warning.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-reiserfs_info.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-reiserfs_panic.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-remove-i_has_xattr_dir.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-remove-link-detection.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-._.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_._.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_bh.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_inode.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_sb.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_tb.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-selinux.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-simplify-xattr-internal-file-lookups-opens.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-strip-whitespace.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-use-generic-xattr-handlers.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-use-reiserfs_error.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-xattrs-noatime.diff
are these going to show up in 2.6.25?

I doubt it. Probably 2.6.26 if I can get akpm to accept them into -mm
for some testing. I've sent them to the reiserfs list several times with
very little feedback. There's not a whole lot of interest in maintaining
reiser3. I also imagine that bringing up the reiser3 xattr code will be
like a third rail, but it is what it is.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney
SUSE Labs