Re: [opensuse-kde3] KDE3 Handbooks
On 08/25/2017 03:33 PM, Leslie Turriff wrote:
Does anyone know where the KDE 3 Handbooks have gone? Are they
available
somewhere outside of the OpenSuSE repositories?
I'm currently looking on the WayBack machine, and it looks like maybe
the
closest to the final KDE 3.5.10 Docs available there were snapshotted on
2007-12-29. The next snapshot there points to KDE 4. Sadly, the
http://docs.kde.org/ website doesn't seem to provide them as a packaged set.
If anyone knows of a better source, please let us know.

Leslie

Yes, (sorry, went to wrong list first....)

This is a sad stain on the KDE legacy. Back in 2008 when kde.org was pushing
KDE4 as the next most wonderful (crippled) thing ever, kde.org undertook an
intentional campaign to begin hiding/erasing/destroying everything KDE3
related to force people to adopt KDE4. It wasn't a disk-space or bandwidth
issue, it was just a deliberate attempt to bury KDE3 and force a move to KDE4.
Unfortunately, openSuSE was complicit in that effort rolling out the "release"
of KDE 4.0.4 (which was at best alpha) as the default desktop on 11.0 -- it
didn't go so good...

download.kde.org is a hodge-podge of mismatched information. For example,
the "kate" directory contains the "Windows" executable:

https://download.kde.org/stable/kate/

I can probably find a copy of the kde handbook if you really need it. I may
even be installed, just under an incorrect path so that is isn't picked up by
khelpcenter. (there was a huge path cleanup effort in TDE required to get all
the help files in the correct place)

Sigh, much work to do. We need our opensuse KDE3 on github so we can all
work on it easily without fighting buildservice or osc....