[opensuse-kde3] Re: Getting ready to install Leap 42.3 and KDE3...
On 2017-08-18 02:35:23 Felix Miata wrote:
Leslie Turriff composed on 2017-08-18 00:35 (UTC-0500):
[snip]
What would be the best DM to install initially, to be later superceded
by KDE3? I'd like to avoid KDE4 and Plasma as much as possible.

I traditionally minimally install X with IceWM, but I don't bother trying
to use it before installing KDE3 with zypper. /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
(DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm3") and /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager
(DEFAULT_WM="startkde") need to be configured,
[snip]
This worked quite nicely, and I was able to replace SDDM, though I seem
be stuck with the icky "Build with OpenSuSE Studio" theme, with no apparent
way to get rid of that. I've looked at Personal Settings -> System
Administration -> Login Manager, but I can't figure out how it specifies this
image; turning off the background image doesn't get rid of it; nor does
changing the GUI Style or Color Scheme in the Appearance tab. Any
suggestions?

Also, what is the best way to get the restricted codecs installed? The
available One-Click options don't seem work with a KDE3-only system.

I generally try hard to avoid using 1-click. I configure my repos manually
and get what openSUSE's repos don't provide from Packman, plus libdvdcss2
from opensuse-guide.org.
Following these instructions
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/526222-Multimedia-Guide-for-openSUSE-Leap-42-3
worked much better than the 1-Click instructions, and my audio is now working
again.
I'm feeling a bit better about OpenSuSE again now; I was seriously
contemplating installing Ubuntu and trying TrinityDE again...

Leslie