[opensuse-kde3] Re: Getting ready to install Leap 42.3 and KDE3...
On 2017-08-18 02:35:23 Felix Miata wrote:
Leslie Turriff composed on 2017-08-18 00:35 (UTC-0500):
I'm getting ready to install Leap 42.3 on my desktop system, and I'm
looking for recommendations for getting KDE3 to work 'out of the box',
since previously I've struggled with weird results when starting from a
DM-free OpenSuSE install. (It appears to me that KDE3 expects certain
non-KDE3 packages to be preinstalled, otherwise weird things happen.)

What would be the best DM to install initially, to be later superceded
by KDE3? I'd like to avoid KDE4 and Plasma as much as possible.

I traditionally minimally install X with IceWM, but I don't bother trying
to use it before installing KDE3 with zypper. /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
(DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm3") and /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager
(DEFAULT_WM="startkde") need to be configured, whether with YaST or
manually, before you can expect either to work correctly, if at all, right
from boot. You should be able to use IceWM to get into the GUI YaST2 and
get KDE3 installed. I don't think anything required to run KDE3 depends on
any of KDE4 or Plasma5, but YaST does use QT5. You should not have to
suffer through any of that SDDM or Plasma trouble you had last April if you
stick to IceWM to get to GUI YaST, but during installation you do need to
select details from the Software Selection and System Tasks installation
screen to be able to deselect install recommended packages from the
dependencies menu if you want to avoid installing things you are unlikely
ever to want or use.
Wow! Thank you for the direct and concise response. I'll try that.

Also, what is the best way to get the restricted codecs installed? The
available One-Click options don't seem work with a KDE3-only system.

I generally try hard to avoid using 1-click. I configure my repos manually
and get what openSUSE's repos don't provide from Packman, plus libdvdcss2
from opensuse-guide.org.
I generally avoid using 1-click too, but it's difficult to find
instructions
for manual installation of the codecs. (But I have now; they're at
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/526222-Multimedia-Guide-for-openSUSE-Leap-42-3
.)
Hopefully this will work for me. The last time I tried installing the codecs
there were dependencies to KDE4 and/or Plasma, and I couldn't get them to
work.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/