Re: [opensuse-kde3] Setting up BlueTooth with KDE3
On 2017-07-07 08:54:38 David C. Rankin wrote:
  Sorry I don't have any silver bullet for you on bluetooth (I rather avoid
it like the plague...)

That's okay. This is my first experience with BlueTooth; it seems to
be the
only way to share a keyboard and mouse between two systems. I guess I
expected that the support for such an "old" technology would be quite stable
(silly me). One of the things that bugs me is the dearth of real
documentation on these systems. (I have to admit that I've been totally
spoiled by my thirty years in the mainframe environment, where the hardcopy
documentation for just the components of the OS fills a moderately sized
room, with separate volumes for installation, configuration, operation,
tuning, and debugging; just the system messages and codes manual takes up
four thick volumes.) I am continually confounded on one hand by sketchy man
pages, and on the other by some that are so complex (e.g. sudo) as to be
effectively useless, all couched in terminology seemingly intended to obscure
rather than inform.
This BlueTooth stuff is a case in point. How can someone attempting to
configure a BlueTooth device be expected to know that the pertinent tool is
called hciconfig? For that matter, looking at the tools provided by the
bluez package, there is also one called hcitool. As usual, the man pages for
these provide little in the way of helpful info. hcitool begins,

NAME
hcitool - configure Bluetooth connections

SYNOPSIS
hcitool [-h]
hcitool [-i <hciX>] [command [command parameters]]

DESCRIPTION
hcitool is used to configure Bluetooth connections and send some spe-
cial command to Bluetooth devices. If no command is given, or if the
option -h is used, hcitool prints some usage information and exits.

and hciconfig begins,

NAME
hciconfig - configure Bluetooth devices

SYNOPSIS
hciconfig -h
hciconfig [-a]
hciconfig [-a] [command [command parameters]]

DESCRIPTION
hciconfig is used to configure Bluetooth devices. hciX is the name of
a Bluetooth device installed in the system. If hciX is not given, hci-
config prints name and basic information about all the Bluetooth
devices installed in the system. If hciX is given but no command is
given, it prints basic information on device hciX only. Basic informa-
tion is interface type, BD address, ACL MTU, SCO MTU, flags (up, init,
running, raw, page scan enabled, inquiry scan enabled, inquiry, authen-
tication enabled, encryption enabled).

An example from the hciconfig man file "explaining" one of its parameters is

voice [voice]
With no voice, prints voice setting. Otherwise, sets voice set-
ting to voice. voice is a 16-bit hex number describing the
voice setting.

There is no explanation of what voice does, and no description of the allowed
values for this option or their meanings. This is typical of the content of
most man files.
It does look as if hciconfig might be more useful than hcitool; or
perhaps
there is a real distinction between 'devices' and 'connections'. Of course,
these man pages don't describe how (or if) they complement one another. And
there are a handful of other tools in the package that I'll have to examine.
Of course, /usr/share/doc/packages/bluez is a waste of time; one wonders why
anyone bothers with it... :-(
On my ancient PPC Mac (which I keep solely to run an obsolete version
of a
package whose vendor is apparently afraid of Linux users), as soon as I
powered it on, OS-X detected the presence of my new keyboard and ran a wizard
to connect.
I can understand that Linux doesn't install the software for a
particular
device if it is not present during installation, and I don't mind that it is
configured via a CLI, but why does it have to be so obscurant?