Re: [opensuse-kde3] Where is option to Auto-Suspend to Ram set?
On 10/26/2015 10:31 AM, Chris Johnson wrote:
Control Centre --> Hardware --> Display --> Power Control, select "Enable
display power management" then adjust "Power off after" setting. Is this what
you are after?

Actually I recall this being a setting in a toolbar icon but I rarely use SuSE
on laptops so I forget now where I last saw that feature. Just had a look at
KPowersave but not sure if that's going to work on more recent systems as it
uses Hal.

Well, no...

DPMS... (Display)PMS is working fine. I want to suspend the entire box using pm-utils on an automatic inactivity timeout. When you shut the lid or choose suspend from the logout menu, you are running pm-utils suspend. (e.g. from /var/log/pm-suspend.log):

Mon Oct 26 01:44:02 CDT 2015: Running hooks for suspend.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging suspend suspend:
suspend initiated: Mon Oct 26 01:44:02 CDT 2015

The Display->Power Control (e.g.):

[x] Enable display power management

Standby after: ............... 8 min

Suspend after: ............... 10 min

Power off after .............. 12 min

only puts the display in standby, suspend, poweroff, etc...

Generally, there is a power management config that allows you to set those parameters for the system as a whole. I admit, after using KDE 3 since it was released, and building the desktop hundreds of times, beyond customizing the kdeshutdown menu look/feel as part of kdebase, I never poked around in the internals of what hooks were available.

Looking, what I'm interested in would be if there are config settings available to call the suspend or hibernate features that are part of kdebase/ksmserver/shutdowndlg.cpp, for example:

void KSMShutdownDlg::slotSuspend()
{
#ifndef COMPILE_HALBACKEND
*m_selection = 1; // Suspend
#else
if (m_dbusConn)
{
DBusMessage *msg = dbus_message_new_method_call(
"org.freedesktop.Hal",

"/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer",

"org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement",
"Suspend");

int wakeup=0;
dbus_message_append_args(msg, DBUS_TYPE_INT32, &wakeup, DBUS_TYPE_INVALID);

dbus_connection_send(m_dbusConn, msg, NULL);

dbus_message_unref(msg);
}
#endif
reject(); // continue on resume
}

void KSMShutdownDlg::slotHibernate()
{
#ifndef COMPILE_HALBACKEND
*m_selection = 2; // Hibernate
#else
if (m_dbusConn)
{
DBusMessage *msg = dbus_message_new_method_call(
"org.freedesktop.Hal",

"/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer",

"org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement",
"Hibernate");

dbus_connection_send(m_dbusConn, msg, NULL);

dbus_message_unref(msg);
}
#endif
reject(); // continue on resume
}

Which appear to be call to "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement" (although compiled without hal) that provide configuration to the user to set idle-time suspend/hibernate features. Is there a missing kcmshell applet that can be used to do this?