Re: [opensuse-kde3] pasting password into KDE3 applications
On 10/21/2015 12:50 PM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

I use openSUSE 12.2 with KDE 3.5.10. I am testing different KDE3 ftp clients,
KFTP, KFTPGrabber, KuFTP. None of them let me paste the password for ftp
login in their connections windows, which makes me think that this is a KDE3,
not an applications 'issue'. As the password I have to type is something like
"a8shgeyrtsd84befc" typing it in is not a solution. How can I enable pasting
of passwords? This restriction is ridicolous. I don't want to use KDE
password manager (KDE wallet?).

Thanks,

Istvan

Istvan,

As others have mentioned, konqueror (through its kio-slaves) provides an excellent ftp ...and... sftp client. It's not documented very well, but you can reach any ftp (or sftp) site by typing the following in the address bar:

sftp://user:pass@xxxxxxxxxx:port/path/to/the/file/your/want.txt

If you have configured passwordless logon by creating host/key pairs, you can omit the user:pass information. If you have added the Host/Port pairs in ~/.ssh/config, then you can eliminate the port information as well. Which leaves you:

sftp://domain.tld/path/to/the/file/your/want.txt

This same scheme for url entry work in all KDE apps, like Kate, Kwrite, etc.. For example, if you are working on a remote web-site, you can open all the remote files up in Kate using this url scheme and directly edit the files on the remote site. Very handy.